The flowers are blossoming and we all know what that means: it's time for spring cleaning! As we enter the new season, now is the best time of year to give our homes a proper clean. Follow our Spring Cleaning Checklist below to make sure your home gets the best, non-toxic clean.
So Where Do I Start?
Doing some preparation will help you have an easier time as the thought of spring cleaning can be intimidating. But it has to be done!
To help you get through spring cleaning, make it fun! Choose some songs that make you happy and create a playlist that encourages you to get the job done. Here's a personal tip from us : Lady - Hear Me Tonight by Modjo.
Our Top 5 Spring Cleaning Tips
Here come our top 5 tips to make your spring cleaning an easy task.
1. Keep Supplies Near
- We recommend this for normal cleaning too, but this makes spring cleaning especially easier. If you have a smaller home this step might not apply to you, but it helps if you have multiple floors for example.
- If you have multiple bathrooms or your home is over 1000 square feet, you want to keep supplies in the kitchen, each bathroom and the laundry room. This allows you to easily and swiftly access everything you need for cleaning when you need it. You won't be running from room to room whenever you need a cleaner or a cloth.
2. Clean in order
- To prevent something that you have already cleaned from getting dirty again, we recommend cleaning a room or space from the top down. For example, clean upper shelves before lower, wipe the table before you sweep, dust off before you vacuum, etc.
3. Choose your duster wisely
- There are a lot of different dusters and microfiber cloths out there. You want to pick one that doesn't just push around the dirt, but grabs it too. Read reviews so that you can discover what's best for you. We recommend a microfiber cloth over a paper towel as it picks up the dust and is reusable, we want to be sustainable!
4. Protect Your Skin
- Unless you are using plant-based cleaners like ÁTHOS, wear gloves. Our cleaners are just as effective as normal cleaners, they smell good, and they are natural! What more could you want?
5. Dance while you clean!
- As we mentioned before, music helps with anything. Put on that happy playlist you created and get moving! It really is more fun to clean when you're swinging those hips.
Spring Cleaning Checklist
Make sure you don't forget anything in your spring cleaning. Here's a thorough checklist for essential rooms in your home.
- Wipe the walls down with a microfiber cloth
- Sweep & mop the floor
- Clean the baseboards. If your baseboards are dusty, use a vacuum with a small brush attached to it. If they're dirty, use wipes or a cloth with water
- Take the mat outside and shake it out. Get rid of those winter boot trays and any winter mats
- Put away your backpacks, coats, umbrellas and boots. If the weather outside has turned warmer, put away your winter clothing and replace it with some spring clothing!
- Clear your counters and disinfect everything from top to bottom
- Wipe away fingerprints from your stainless steel appliances to make them shine once more. The best way to do this is to use a damp cloth and buff it try with a dry tea towel. Be sure to thoroughly clean your:
- Stand mixer
- Coffee grinder
- Coffee maker
- One at a time, clean cabinets, shelves and drawers. Empty them out, wipe them down and vacuum them if needed
- Wipe down plates and light switches
- Clean the drain, garbage disposal and sink
- Clean out the fridge by throwing away any expired items first, then remove everything and clean all the drawers and shelving
- Clean the microwave, stove and oven. If you have a self-cleaning feature, use that. Otherwise get some oven cleaner and follow the directions on the package
- Run a full cycle in your dishwasher with a cup of vinegar on the top rack of the machine. Sprinkle some baking soda on the bottom of the dishwasher too. This will clean and disinfect your dishwasher nicely once the full cycle is over.
- Start from top to bottom like always, clean the bathroom vent with a vacuum and dust the light fixture too
- Replace or wash your shower curtains
- Wipe down shelves, walls, ceilings and windows
- Clean the shower / bathtub with a mold and mildew cleaner. Do not mix different cleaners while doing this
- Clean your toilet
- Clean floor mats, washcloths and bath towels
- Clean hairbrushes
- Replace your toothbrushes if needed and clean toothbrush holders
- Toss any medicine that is expired from your medicine cabinet and take notes of any new ones you may need
- Remove linens & wash them, flip the mattress too. We hope that you wash the bedding a few times a year already but spring cleaning time is a good time to remove everything and get it washed, dried
- Clean ceiling fan and light
- Wipe walls downLaunder your curtains or dust blinds
- Clean windows, even the window sills
- Vacuum your mattress
- Wipe down & polish the bedfram
- Remove all that junk from your nightstands and dressers
- Wipe down your lamps
- Tidy up your dressers and closet
- Clean your baseboards Vacuum & mop floors
- Dust light fixtures and ceiling fans
- Wipe down walls
- Remove & wash curtains or dust blinds
- Clean windows and sills
- Dust or wipe electronics
- Dust or wipe fireplace area
- Dust or wipe decor
- Remove pillow covers and slipcovers and wash
- Vacuum away all those crumbs on your sofa & other seating
- Wipe down any dust & moisturize the leather on leather furniture
- Vacuum and mop floors
That's it for our spring cleaning checklist. We wish you good luck on your spring cleaning adventure and don't forget to toss those toxins!